Start a Team!
Here are a few easy recruiting ideas:
- Ask everyone you know to join your team, including friends, family members, co-workers and neighbors. Once they have signed on, ask them to invite their friends, family members, co-workers and neighbors. Keep building your team until Walk Day!
- Talk the Walk! SHARE your excitement about the Autoimmune Walk with everyone you meet!
- Ask your supervisor to support you or to join your team!
- Host a team Kick-off Party, perhaps at a family gathering or during your work lunch hour to sign up team members. We can help you by providing promotional materials about Autoimmunity and the Walk for your party.
- Ask friends and family members to donate to the Walk rather than buying you a birthday or holiday gift. Checks should be made payable to: AARDA
- Put an Autoimmune Walk message on your voicemail and in your email signature.
- Place an ad or article in local papers or newsletters to recruit community members. Be sure to include contact information regarding American Autoimmune Related Diseases Association.
- Hold a personal fundraising event (e.g., bake sale, car wash, yard sale, chili cook-off, etc., to support your team.
As you build your team...
Ask your contacts to give up one luxury (e.g., a movie; dinner; concert, etc.) for the Walk and then donate the money they would have spent to the Walk!
- Distribute the Walk brochure via email to your team.
- Send regular email updates/reminders to your team, sharing fundraising ideas and any success stories from your team members.
- Encourage your team members to collect and turn in donations before the day of the Walk!
- Make fundraising a whole team activity – work hard and have fun!
- Lead by example; be the first to register and then ask at least one person per day to sponsor you in the Autoimmune Walk!
Create Your Team’s Identity
More than anything else, team spirit unites a group of walkers on the day of the Walk! Ideas include:
- Team T-shirts
- Encourage everyone to wear the same color on walk day.
- Have Team hats or a Team Banner
Although each Walk event is different, there are some volunteer tasks that are common to them all. On the day of each Walk, volunteers are needed for:
Prior to Walk Day, volunteers may be needed:
- Site Set Up
- Welcoming Participants
- T-shirt Table
- Mission Tent
- Water & Food Stations
- Site Clean Up
- On the Walk Planning Committee
- To help promote the Walk
- To help recruit Walkers and Team Captains
If you would like to volunteer, please contact the Walk Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
. Please include your name, phone number, the name of the Walk you wish to volunteer for, the volunteer job you'd like to do, and any previous experience you have with Walk events or other special events.